Spinach & Spelt Wraps with Mexican Beans
I have been making these Mexican Beans for a very long time, they are so easy to make and full of flavour! Usually I would serve them with something simple like brown rice or a big fresh salad with guacamole and hummus for a light dinner. However recently I decided to try and make my own flour tortilla's and they were a huge success! I used spelt flour for added nutrition and spinach for extra vitamins and minerals.
This make a super filling meal and are a great vegetarian/ vegan option. Another great thing about these wraps is that they can be frozen or put in the fridge and just heated up as needed.
SERVES – approx. 4
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 good handful of fresh spinach leaves (finely chopped, I use the food processor)
- pinch of salt
- Just under 1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2-1 cup warm water
- 2-3 cans of organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans organic red kidney beans (drained and rinsed until water runs clear)
- 1 can organic black beans (drained and rinsed until water runs clear)
- 1 can organic chickpeas (drained and rinsed until water runs clear)
- 1 TBSP tamari
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Small handful of freshly chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 red capsicum (thinly sliced)
- 6 chopped sundried tomatoes (packed in olive oil)
- Black pepper to taste
– Place all ingredients for WRAPS (except water) in a mixer (I used a kenwood mixer with a dough handle) and mix until a ball of dough forms, slowly adding water starting with 1/2 cup and more as needed. If mix is too dry add more warm water, and if its too wet add more spelt flour. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 2 mins until smooth. Separate dough into four balls, place covered in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat up the olive oil for the Mexican Bean mix in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and cook on medium heat until soft. Add all other ingredients (EXCEPT THE BEANS). Season to taste. Allow to simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering take the balls of dough out of the fridge. Roll the balls of dough out on a lightly floured surface into four thin wraps.
- Place a large frying pan on medium to high heat. Place one of the wraps in the pan, when the wrap starts to form bubbles flip over and allow to cook on the other side. They don't take long to cook and be sure not to over cook them as they will then turn out crunchy rather than soft flour wraps.
- One by one cook the wraps and place each cooked wrap on a warm plate. Once the wraps are cooked finish off the bean mix by adding all the canned beans to the sauce mixture.
- Simmer bean mix for 2 minutes then take of the heat and serve!
- Spread the wraps with hummus, place spoonfuls of the bean mix in the wrap and top with sliced avocado. Roll up the wrap and serve with a fresh salad.